How I wished I was there. The million and one street style photos of people rugged up in gorgeous coats, leather, boots and scarves made me SO VERY JEALOUS. It was heat overload in Australia, and let’s face it – ‘amazing summer fashion’ does not exist. Give me layers upon layers of dark colours and leather and shearling any day… oh my.
There was some beautiful collections at NYFW for Fall 2012/13. It was quite hit and miss for me personally, but there was a few different collections that I really enjoyed.
- Miguel Adrover’s fantastically haphazard mishmash of ‘fuck you’. After the show, he said he aimed “to lose contact with fashion as it is now, and to set forth a new vocabulary.”
- Proenza Schouler’s ‘looks like a shirt + skirt, but its actually a dress’. I’m also dying over the silhouette created by the shoulders on that first white jacket.
- Gary Graham’s gorgeous prints, wrapping layers, and the simple, feminine dresses as the cherry on the cake.
- Helmut Lang’s references to Game of Thrones (I am a fantasy nerd, and I like it). Fiery patterns, high necklines tapered with leather, shearling to keep a soldier warm when winter is coming, and a certain brown leather dress fit for the rightful Targaryen queen…
- Rachel Comey’s intriguing silhouettes, gorgeously oversized coats, and that printed skirt.
- Rodarte’s Australian influences, fifities shapes, unattached collars with dresses, chunky knits with soldier-esque pants and boots, beautiful laces, and the leather and shearling dress.
- Jeremy Laing’s … everything. The shapes. Oh god, the shoulders that make the shapes. The leather. The fur. The slicked back hair. Stop it Jeremy, otherwise I might have to lick you.
- A Detacher’s amaaaazing coats. I have no idea what those sleeves are called, but I know I want them on me. Same story with the woolen skirts, long or short. Loved the pops of pink and red and prints. The details, such as off centred buttons, bobbled beanies, and safety pins only perfected an already wonderful collection. Probably my favourite.
I collated my favourite looks from each of these, for a bit of recap. London, Milan and Paris FW posts will be up soon. Enjoy. Cx